At a distance of 16 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 42 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 8 km from Mapusa, St. Michael's Church is one of the oldest churches of Goa situated on Anjuna beach road.
The Church of St. Michael was established in 1595 and is dedicated to S. Miguel. The Church was erected in 1603 by the visiting Jesuit Missionaries. Rebuilt in 1717 on the model of the famous Se Cathedral of Old Goa, this outstanding landmark is a most interesting specimen of colonial architecture of the 16th century. The Church has a large welcoming door and two towers on either side. The Portuguese style of architecture is the prime attraction of the church.
The Church is visited by tourists in large numbers to witness the statue of St. Michael with a scale in his left hand and a demon placed under his feet. The tabernacle placed in the centre of the main altar also attracts visitors. The Church also houses three large chapels, one dedicated to S. Antonio, one to Nossa Senhora De Saude and the last one to Nossa Senhora de Piedade. The chapel at Vagator became the Church of the New Parish of Vagator, dedicated to St. Antonio in the 20th century.
You can also find St. Michael's body being displayed at a certain height in the church. Once in every 10 years the body is brought down for public display. The Church celebrates the feasts of St. Miguel on September 29 and Nossa Senhora Advogada in the 2nd week of January. Large number of Tourists visit St. Michael's Church during the feast of St. Michael is celebrated on a huge scale.
Timings: 6 AM - 7 PM on all days.